Kosher & Halal Dining @ Tufts
Let's Eat Kosher!
Tufts Dining offers several options for those who keep kosher, including a Glatt Kosher Deli, Shabbat meals at the Granoff Family Hillel Center, and kosher for Passover foods. Coming soon, a completely vegan kosher dining option at Dewick MacPhie Dining Center. Tufts Dining and Tufts Hillel are pleased to announce their partnership with Lighthouse Kosher to launch a fully certified, completely vegan kosher dining option.
Lighthouse Kosher is an innovative non-profit organization that combines Orthodox rabbinic supervision with a vision of ecological sustainability and social responsibility. A team of trained Tufts students will serve as mashgichim and will be onsite every day to insure smooth operations and full compliance. The facility will also receive regular oversight and spot-checks from Rabbi Barry Dolinger of Lighthouse Kosher and Tufts Rabbi Naftali Brawer. This new dining station will be located at the Beans, Greens and Grains section of the dining center and will feature appealing, vegan meals cooked from scratch. Students who keep kosher or those who would like to be able to regularly do so, will now have the opportunity to share meals with peers with ease and convenience.
Pax et Lax Glatt Kosher Deli is located in the Mayer Campus Center and features made-to-order sandwiches and wraps. The popular deli is open for lunch and dinner Monday to Thursday, during dinner offering a delicious hot sandwich menu. Deli orders are placed using the Transact Mobile app and picked up the at walk-up window.
For students observing Passover at Tufts, Tufts Hillel Seder meals are available. Dewick-MacPhie will have dedicated Passover food areas where Tufts students on meal plans observing Passover can select kosher for Passover items and meals. All kosher for Passover foods will be handled separately in designated areas. A list of Passover items will be posted on-site where kosher for Passover food is being served. Please note: Pax et Lax Glatt Kosher Deli will be closed in observance of the Passover holiday.
Halal Dining at Tufts!
Tufts Dining offers daily halal options at lunch and dinner in several locations:
- Carmichael and Dewick-MacPhie Dining Centers have halal grilled chicken available for lunch and dinner every day. Halal hamburgers and hot dogs are cooked to order upon request at any time. All whole chicken breasts and thighs sourced by Tufts University are halal and are featured in our regular rotation on the dining center menus in prepared dishes. Halal beef flank steak is available upon request whenever beef flank steak appears on the menu.
- The All-9-Free station within Dewick offers halal options everyday.
- Pita at Hodgdon Food-on-the-Run serves tasty halal chicken and lamb shawarma.
- Halal recipes are indicated in the title of the recipe.
- Ingredient information is posted at the point-of-service for all food served.
- The title and ingredient information for all recipes can be found on the Nutrition Cards in the dining centers or in our online menus.
- Items that contain pork or alcohol are labeled with icons in the Transact Mobile Ordering app.
Suhoor boxes will be made available during Ramadan. Complete the form below to register with Tufts Dining to be able to order Suhoor boxes. Once registered, you will be able to order customizable Suhoor boxes on the Dining Transact Mobile App. Orders must be placed by 1pm daily. Pre-ordered Suhoor Box will be available for pick up at Carmichael or Dewick-MacPhie at Dinner each night, 5pm–9pm. Available April 3 – May 1, 2022.
Register here: https://forms.gle/XouQwv8GgRzMvdzL8