Sustainable Practices in Action
When you dine at Tufts, you #DineGreen!
Tufts Dining is 3 Star Green Restaurant Association certified. We earned 3 out of 4 possible stars for our sustainable practices in all 10 of our locations, which includes Tufts Catering, in October 2016. And, we’ve been working for years on being leaders in sustainability. With this certification, we are the first college/university to be awarded 3 Stars for all locations at once and are one of only 44 universities in the country with Green Restaurant Certification. Green Restaurant Association Rankings are based on energy, equipment, water, lighting, waste, disposables, chemicals, food, and packaging. We continue to work toward more green points wherever we can. Tufts Dining is #TrendingGreen. #DineGreen when you dine with us!
Here are just a few of the ways Tufts Dining supports sustainability on campus:
- We serve a variety of organic and sustainably sourced foods.
- We use local seasonal produce and locally caught wild fish.
- We purchase from dozens of local vendors.
- Our bananas are Rainforest Alliance certified.
- Our compostable napkins are made from unbleached and recycled fibers.
- We compost food waste in all dining centers and cafés.
- Certified fair trade organic coffee is available in all dining center locations.
- We donate leftovers to a local food emergency agency.
- All takeout food containers are made from recycled material or plant-based material, or they are fully recyclable.