Gluten-Friendly Dining in Carmichael and Dewick
At Dewick-MacPhie Dining Center, there is All9Free—a platform that serves food free of the top nine allergens. All9FREE has menus for all meals. All9Free food is prepared in a separate kitchen and is gluten-free. The All9Free menu is available online and all food is served by our staff for takeout. There is also a secured gluten-free pantry with several foods and cereals—as well as a dedicated refrigerator and freezer stocked with gluten-free items. Carmichael Dining Center also has a secured refrigerator and freezer with gluten-free options, plus a separate area for gluten-free cereals and snacks. Some of the gluten-free foods you can find at Carmichael and Dewick-MacPhie Dining Centers include:
- Gluten-free breads, wraps, English muffins, bagels, waffles, and hamburger buns
- Gluten-free pizza
- Gluten-free cereal, oatmeal, granola, pretzels, and bagel chips
- Gluten-free cookies, brownies, and cheesecake made by a local gluten-free bakery
- Gluten-free ice cream cones
- Microwaveable gluten-free pasta
- Individual cream cheese, margarine, and jelly
- Amy’s gluten-free macaroni and cheese available upon request
- Gluten-free pancakes are also available every Sunday during brunch in both dining centers
- Amy’s gluten-free Macaroni & Cheese and Bean & Cheese Burrito for Late Night Carmichael on Fridays and Saturdays
Cross-contact occurs when a food touches another food and the proteins mix. Steps have been taken to increase variety for our customers who need to avoid gluten cross-contact. The char-broiler in Dewick has been designated as free of gluten-containing ingredients and the FDA’s eight major food allergens plus sesame. In addition, the placement of food on the line is designed to minimize cross-contact. To protect your food from exposure to foods with gluten, take the following steps:
- Use the dedicated gluten-free toaster and panini press, cutting board, and knife in both Carmichael and Dewick.
- Request food from a warmer or directly from the kitchen.
- Avoid French fries as they may be cooked with foods containing gluten.
- Avoid deli meats and cheeses as well as soups. They are made in the same commissary where our bakery is located.
If you’re concerned about cross-contact in any of our dining facilities, please ask to speak to a manager on duty or the person in charge. We’re here to help!
Accessing Our Gluten-Friendly Areas
In addition to the Gluten-free Pantry, students with celiac disease are eligible to enroll in the Alternative Meal Program (AMP), which provides individual meals in the dining centers prepared by trained staff. Registration and approval by the StAAR Center is required to participate in both services.
Gluten-Friendly Dining at Other Locations
All campus cafés, including the Commons Marketplace and Hodgdon Food-on-the-Run, have a selection of fresh (packaged on campus) items free of gluten ingredients made fresh daily including sandwiches, salads, sushi, and gluten-free snacks.
Pax et Lox Glatt Kosher Deli can prepare any sandwich on a gluten-free wrap or bun, or without any bread at all. Gluten-free meals are prepared to order on separate equipment. At Hodgdon Food-on-the-Run, you can order a bagel sandwich, burrito, or grain bowl all made from fresh ingredients that do not contain gluten.
Have Questions About Gluten-Free Dining at Tufts?
We are happy to discuss the variety of gluten-free options available on campus!
Kelly Shaw MS RD, is Tufts Dining’s Nutrition Specialist. Kelly is familiar with the ingredients in our menu items and is experienced with the food preparation and handling processes at Tufts Dining. She can advise students on ways to manage celiac disease and gluten sensitivity on campus.
Kelly Shaw MS RD